IT Transparency: New Capabilities Driven by the Boardroom
Date: May 17, 2013
From the Advisory Institute
If venture capitalists walked through your door with a sack full of cash and asked you to clearly articulate the market value of your IT organization, what would you tell them?
Would you talk about uptime, utilization, platforming and cost savings? Or would you discuss tangible business metrics such as market share, margin enhancement, return on capital, customer penetration and product differentiation? How would the board respond to the same question?
Right now, this scenario is playing out across a multitude of IT organizations big and small. How has the topic so radically changed from standardizing, optimizing and controlling the IT estate to running technology services like a business?
The answer comes from the top. Today’s boards and executive leaders are demanding a significant change in IT innovation that is creating a new dialogue about how organizations invest in and interact with the enterprise and its customers and suppliers.
For most organizations, cost transparency is the logical starting point. However, transparency for transparency’s sake is a limited value investment. The power in transparency is that it provides the ability to bring business context to the data and serves as a transformational accelerant. Transparency is not an answer solution; it is a platform for smart questions.
In this first podcast in a series of three on IT Transparency, Steve Bates, a principal in KPMG Advisory Services, discusses key opportunities and responsibilities.
Listeners will gain an understanding of:
- What drives the boardroom’s demand for transparency
- Typical questions from the board to the CIO
- The core capabilities a smart IT executive should invest in to gain credibility
- How IT and finance can best align in supporting the business and providing the story behind numbers
- Examples of where CIOs have achieved transparency and the tangible results
- Key actions can be started today to drive transparency
Duration: Less than 13 minutes
Activate the recording with the play button over the image at left.
- Browse KPMG Services
- Give Feedback
- Subscribe to RSS News Feeds
- Listen to Podcasts
- View Webcasts on Demand
- See Upcoming Events
Things You Can Do
Register for KPMGInstitutes.com
As part of the KPMG Institutes online community, you'll be able to participate in Webcasts, access premium content, post comments, rate research and provide valuable insight supporting critical business topics and industry issues.
KPMG Institutes Network
- KPMG Advisory Institute
- KPMG Audit Committee Institute
- KPMG Global Energy Institute
- KPMG Global Enterprise Institute
- KPMG Government Institute
- KPMG Healthcare & Life Sciences Institute
- KPMG IFRS Institute
- KPMG Shared Services and Outsourcing Institute
- KPMG Tax Governance Institute
- KPMG Financial Reporting Network
- KPMG TaxWatch