U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Waiver: TANF
Date: Nov. 05, 2012
From the Advice Worth Keeping podcast series
Hosted by Stan Lepeak, global research director
KPMG LLP Management Consulting
In the summer of 2012, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Administration for Children and Families issued new guidance to states on the availability of waivers under the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program. This marks the first time that HHS has invited states to submit waiver proposals for TANF pilot projects.
David Hansell, global head of KPMG's Human and Social Services Center of Excellence, outlines the significant opportunity this presents for states looking to innovate in their welfare-to-work programs.
Listeners will gain an understanding of:
- How TANF evolved from decades of previous welfare reform efforts that have transitioned from income support to include job training, educational support and job placement services
- How waivers to states for TANF follow a similar template of previous HHS waiver mechanisms
- The primary goal behind issuing the TANF waiver guidance
- The very specific framework and controls that HHS has developed to hold states accountable to their initiatives.
Duration: approximately 12 minutes
Activate the recording with the play button over the image at left.
This podcast is based on the KPMG Government Institute brief New HHS Guidance on TANF Waivers and Issues for States to Consider.
- Browse KPMG Services
- Give Feedback
- Subscribe to RSS News Feeds
- Listen to Podcasts
- View Webcasts on Demand
- See Upcoming Events
Things You Can Do
Register for KPMGInstitutes.com
As part of the KPMG Institutes online community, you'll be able to participate in Webcasts, access premium content, post comments, rate research and provide valuable insight supporting critical business topics and industry issues.
KPMG Institutes Network
- KPMG Advisory Institute
- KPMG Audit Committee Institute
- KPMG Global Energy Institute
- KPMG Global Enterprise Institute
- KPMG Government Institute
- KPMG Healthcare & Life Sciences Institute
- KPMG IFRS Institute
- KPMG Shared Services and Outsourcing Institute
- KPMG Tax Governance Institute
- KPMG Financial Reporting Network
- KPMG TaxWatch